Baruti K. Kafele
Motivating Black Males to Achieve In School & In Life
One of the most vexing problems confronting educators today is the chronic achievement gap between male students and their peers. In this inspiring and thought-provoking book, veteran educator Baruti Kafele offers a blueprint for lifting black males up and ensuring their success in the classroom and beyond. Motivating Black Males to Achieve in School and in life offers proven strategies for getting black male students in middle school and high school to value learning, improve their grades, and maintain high standards for themselves. The author shows how simple but powerful measures to instill self-worth in young black males can not only raise these students’ achievement, but also profoundly alter their lives for the better. This book will help you to help students.
If you’ve ever been uncertain about what to do about the chronic achievement gap between black males and other student populations, then here’s a book that will forever change your approach to these students and equip you with a whole new plan for motivating black males to achieve in school and in life. Award-winning educator and author Baruti K. Kafele draws from his 20 years of experience in teaching black males and turning around troubled urban schools to explain
- Why the challenges of educating black male students are different from educating other student populations.
- What all black male students need in their classroom experiences.
- How to assess your own attitudes and abilities to educate black males.
- Which major problems outside of school could change the way you teach black males.
- How to address the root causes of black male self-identity.
- Why and how to develop a young men’s empowerment program.
Understand why lack of proficiency in reading, writing, and math among black males is a symptom of deeper problems that are generally ignored. And discover solutions that you can put into your daily practice right away to improve the performance of black male students.